Frequently Asked Questions

All individuals are highly encouraged to better prepare themselves and their families for disasters. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to survive in your home for 72 hours with no outside assistance.

What is the Special Needs Registry?

The Special Needs Registry (SNR) is an effort by the Hempfield Township Emergency Management Agency (HEMA) to better identify those in our community who are most at risk during a disaster. In the emergency management field, these individuals are designated as part of the “special needs population”.  The Emergency Special Needs Survey is a data collection device for these individuals.

What makes an individual part of the special needs population?

The Hempfield Township Emergency Management Agency defines the special needs population as:

“Individuals who are likely to require assistance in excess of that provided to the general public in a time of disaster, particularly in the event that large scale evacuation is necessary.”

This could include those who are deaf, blind, bedridden, mentally impaired, without radio or television, or lacking transportation necessary to evacuate.

What additional assistance should individuals entered in this registry expect?

The answer to this question depends on the nature of the emergency at hand. The intention of this registry is to get our special needs population “on the radar” so that Township officials can make decisions about how to best assist them.

How do I use the SNR?

Download the Emergency Special Needs Survey, print and fill out the form and then mail it to:

Hempfield Twp. EMA
Re: Special Needs Registry
1132 Woodward Drive, Suite A
Greensburg, PA 15601-9310

How will the information I enter be used?

The information is stored securely, and will NEVER be used for ANY purpose other than improving emergency responders’ ability to assist you in emergencies. It will not be sold or given to private concerns for any reason.

I have a family member who lives in a nursing home/group home/assisted living facility/etc. Should I enter their information?

No. This tool is designed to collect information about persons living in private residences.

I still have questions. I am not sure if I should participate.

If you want to speak with someone about your concerns, you can call the Hempfield Township Emergency Management Agency at 724-834-7232 ext. 107. with your questions or comments.

Will anyone contact me after I submit my information?

All registry entries greater that one year will be confirmed. You will be contacted each year by telephone or U.S. Mail by a member of our staff, unless you submit a new Emergency Special Needs Survey.  It is critical that these updates be completed to ensure the most current information is available when needed the most.